I've been meaning to do something with black shutters, then this project comes along. First, I have to put in the window frames. I left the Spackle which simulates mortar right in the opening. Then, with a little CA on the frames, I put the window in place.
I find the Spackle holds the window like an extra set of hands during the positioning.
There is all kinds of neat paper that can be had in the scrap-booking aisle at a craft store. I figured I could use the shades that come with my Titchy window frames as a template to cut black shutters out of this heavy, textured paper.
My table sure gets messy when I am in the zone.... still, I believe the results are going well so far.